Thursday, March 24, 2011

Borderline Denial?

Hello! I'm new to all of this infertile stuff. I don't know all of the abbreviations people use when they talk about TTC.  I don't know much at all about IUI or IVF or any thing quite like that. I'm still at the beginning, in fact you may say I'm not even there yet.

I am 22 years old, so is my husband. We've been married for two years and 5 months (as of tomorrow). I have never taken birth control. I have never used any form of protection. I have dreamed of being a mother since I was a child, so I just figured it would happen right away. No such luck.
      I am the oldest of SEVEN children. My mom got married and before their first anniversary... she had me. She gave birth to her last child in July 2010 (it's my turn now mom!) And as far as I know... she still has another kiddo left in her (she's only 43). Talking to my mom about all of this... really doesn't help.
      On my husband's side... His parents we're pregnant with their first BEFORE they got married. When dad remarried and they started trying for kids... she got pregnant her first try.
      Looking at our families... I thought we'd have a kid right away. And that we could be pregnant with our next by now. As far as I know, we are both perfectly healthy 22 year olds. WHY NO PREGO!?!?
     Why did I title this borderline denial? Because I have never gone to a gynecologist... ever. Honestly the thought of someone poking around down there horrifies me. I always had told myself that I could put it off until I got pregnant, then I'd have no choice. Now I'm scared if I go they will tell me I can't have kids. I still keep thinking that I'll get pregnant any day now. We're young... haven't been married too long... we could have been waiting? I could just pretend like all this infertile stuff never happened. Well really I couldn't, anyone and pretty much everyone knows how much I want to be a mom. They knew I wanted to be a mom before my husband even proposed. The thought of waiting??! Yeah right!
     At the moment we're just trying harder. We are taking some fertility enhancing vitamins:
      

We try baby making every other night. And I've been putting one of these in after every time:


      Tonight's another baby making night and I hope that this month we'll be lucky. I don't know how to go about making an appointment to find out if everything checks out ok. Or even who I need to make an appointment with. Like I said... I'm new to this. 
      Ever since we got married my period has been very irregular. It used to come between 4 and 5 weeks every month. But now... I never know quite when to expect it. Once it was exactly 7 weeks between cycles. I have never had a positive pregnancy test, though sometimes I wonder if maybe my late periods are because I lost a child so early a test wouldn't show it. The first pregnancy test I used was about 3 months after I got married, I was a week late and my husband wanted to buy me a test on his way home from work. I think that's when it all really started. Ever since then I hope my period won't come back. And I'm sad every time it does.

Do you have any advice? I know I should see a doctor soon, but I'm terrified of going.
     A. She says, Here's your problem, you'll never have kids.
     B. She says, Here's your problem, it'll cost you LOTS of money to fix it.
     C. She says, I have no idea why you haven't had kids yet. Your young, just keep trying.
I don't like going to doctors. I have gotten so used to them telling me I'm perfectly healthy. Example: I used to get sore throats ALL the time! Lost my voice a few times. Never once tested positive for strep. So I guess I feel if I go she'll just telling me I wasted my money going to see her, because I'm healthy.

Anyways.... I don't even know who to ask to set up an appointment with. Advice?