Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Poem: Always Wanted

I'm a little girl.
My mother buys me a doll.
I love playing mommy.
Being a mommy is my call.

My mommy has a baby.
I want to help.
My mommy says "ok",
but I can't do much by myself.

I get a little older,
I start to drive.
My babysitting business,
it begins to thrive.

Then I join a daycare.
It's my first "real" job.
I love watching kids.
Can't wait to be a mom.

They say that I won't want one.
That my job is better than "the pill".
That when I see all the bad they do,
it'll just make me ill.

But I love kids!
They could never make me sick.
I wish each and every one,
was one that I could pick.

So when I got married,
I thought a mom at last I'd be.
But it didn't happen like I thought,
so I became a nanny.

One year, two years,
three and more go by.
Everyone waits for us to be tested,
and it makes me want to cry.

I love being a nanny,
but I just want my own.
I love the child that I watch,
but I can never take her home.

Mothers and Fathers,
I see them on their special Day,
stand in front of the church,
with all they have to say.

I look at my husband,
who wants to be a dad.
I wonder if it's hard for him,
the lack of children that we have.

So this is where we're at,
but the story surely isn't done.
We'll figure something out,
so I can be a mom.


-Suzanna 6/12/13