Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Reason #2. Distant relationship

....Cycle Day 27....
In the country song Watching You, by Rodney Atkins, he says his son:   "...crawled out of bed and he got down on his knees,
       He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands,
       And spoke to God like he was talking to a friend.
       And I said son now where'd you learn to pray like that?" 
       And his son's reply was "I've been watching you dad."
I want our children to see that!  I want our kids to see our relationship with God.  Right now...  Me and God are kind of in the getting to know you stage before the relationship has really began. 
   For years I've heard people talk of their amazing relationship with God.  Forever I've heard about His amazing love that overwhelms.  About His peace through the most difficult times.  About His presence!  A presence they can feel!  And His voice.  Hearing the voice of God...  What. Is. That. Like???  Is it even real?  Don't answer that.  I'm sure that it is real.  Just.... I've never known it. 
   I want our children to see us in a relationship with God.  I don't want them just to see a quick prayer over meals, that is if we even remember to pray.  Going to church shouldn't be about seeing our friends, having a good time, and maybe learning something while we're there.  It's about praising God!  Learning more about Him!  Showing God we love Him!!  Not about if anyone will like my new dress.
   My relationship with God I feel is a reflection of what I saw growing up.  I don't know how strong my mom's relationship with God is.....  But I know what I saw.  And now I see it in me, and I don't like it.  I want something better.  And even more I want something better for my kids to see.

P.S.  Sometimes I wonder if my not having kids yet is punishment for me not yet having a relationship with God.  I'm sure that's not true.....  But that doesn't keep the thoughts from entering my mind.